This is a new recipe I tried last night. It was quite the success, easy and really healthy! I made quite a few modifications from the original recipe, which can be found here. See below for my take on a fall beef and barely stew.
In a lightly greased Crock Pot, combine the following ingredients:
-1 1/2 lbs steak meat of choice, cut into bite sized pieces. I used $7/lb sirloin steaks, for maximum tenderness.
- 1 cup dry barely
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cups sliced carrots (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large package of sliced mushrooms
- 1, 14 oz can cranberry sauce, with whole cranberries
- 1, 12 oz bottle of beer (I used Michelob Ultra, as it's what I had on hand.)
- 4 cups beef broth or beef consume and water totaling 4 cups
- 3 T chopped garlic (prepared type in jar)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t salt
- 2 T pepper
- 1 T thyme
Mix all ingredients together, and cook on low 6-8 hours. Keep on warm until ready to serve. You may additionally add a bit of fresh shaved parmesan to the top, if desired.