Calypso Shrimp and Quinoa
This recipe is an adaptation from one of my favorite Pappardelle Pasta recipes. I've made the sauce twice in less than 18 hours! It's so remarkably good, and different. Give it a try for something quick, fresh and flavorful.
- 2 roasted green chilies, chopped, removing some seeds
- 2 T garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 can light coconut milk, about 13.5 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped. Reserve some for topping dish.
Prepare 1 cup (dry) quinoa according to package directions, adding in 1 teaspoon chicken broth bouillon for enhanced flavor.
1 1/2 lbs. peeled and deveined shrimp
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T butter
- This is my adaptation of the recipe. For the original recipe, please follow this link:
Begin quinoa according package directions. In a medium sauce pan, combine all sauce ingredients except basil. Heat over low heat, mixing occasionally until well combined. You can keep this on very low until the remaining dish components are ready. Add basil a few minutes before serving. If it becomes too thick or hot, simply remove from heat until ready to serve. Meanwhile as sauce is cooking, sauté shrimp in hot butter and softened garlic. Place quinoa and shrimp on a plate, top with sauce and reserved basil.