Homemade Coconut Granola

Coconut Granola 

There is a lot of misconception in granola. Many people think just because it's granola, it's automatically healthy. This couldn't be further from the truth. I've searched high and low for a perfect granola, and believe me - there is not a single one out there that is perfect in my eyes. I finally had it, and decided to start making my own! I've finally perfected the recipe to share. This stuff is dramatically better tasting, and for you! Success! And, it's generally less expensive than the store bought stuff, anyway.

Recipe:
5 cups organic Old Fashioned Oats
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped Macadamia nuts
1/2 -1 c shredded coconut
1/3 cup local honey
1/3 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
1 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract 
1/2 t sea salt
2 t cinnamon 

Cookie Sheet
Parchment Paper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Combine oats, coconut and nuts and toss lightly until evenly combined. 
In a saucepan over very low heat combine coconut oil, honey, and extracts. Once melted add in the salt and cinnamon until well combined. 
Slowly drizzle the melted mixture over the granola, pouring as evenly as possible. Immediately work the oil combo into the granola with a spatula. Working quickly allows all the oat mixture to become evenly coated and for it not to stick / burn with too much concentration. 
Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir mixture well with spatula. Cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15- 20 minutes. Loosen granola with spatula. If your oven tends to cook quick or hotter,  use caution on the last 15 minutes and check often. The granola will continue to cook slightly as it cools at room temperature.
Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container such as OXO to keep it nice and fresh!

Makes approximately 12, 1/2 cup servings per batch. I've done the math on the calories and depending on the amount of coconut you use, each serving has between 220 & 260 calories. 

Trial and Error:
I like to make a double batch of this so I don't have to make it as often. However, through trial and error I've found it works out much better to do a single batch of oil/honey at a time. I've tried doubling it and pouring it over both sheets and then mixing the first pan before getting to the second. Here is where I learned to work quickly for best results! Now, I prepare both cookie sheets with oats, etc. and then make the oil mixture for each pan separately. This works great! Also, the parchment paper helps the granola from not stick at all (it's pretty amazing stuff!), and keeps the oil moisture off the pan and onto the granola where it's supposed to be. 

Health Notes of This Recipe:
- Free of processed sugar, high fructose corn syrup, soy products,
-Organic and Non-GMO as much as possible
- High Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio, which is better for your health. This is why I use macadamia nuts.
- I eat 1 cup Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of granola each morning. I've noticed this granola keeps me full longer than any others I've tried.
Enjoy!


Store granola in an airtight container such as OXO. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing!! AND, fast, easy and cheap!

Carrie Underwood Leg Workout

Maleficent Costume DIY & Glowing Staff Tutorial