Brad made an awesome stew tonight with tons of fresh veggies. Plus, the crock pot does all the work!
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 6 sections each
- 1 med. yellow onion, sliced or diced according to preference
- 2 med. portabella mushroom caps - cut into ~ 1'' x 1'' pieces
- 3 home grown jalapenos, seeds removed *
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon or beef bouillon + coordinating water msrs
- 1/3 stick butter
- Season with: 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 T Hickory salt, 1 T chipotle powder, 1 T garlic powder
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (to be added later)
Roux (added near end of cooking)
1/4 stick melted butter & 1/4 cup flour
Layer all ingredients in crock pot, except mushrooms. Mix together. Layer mushrooms on top so they steam & don't get to soggy.
Cook on high 3 1/2 hrs or low for 7-8. Near end of cooking time, make roux by melting butter and then mixing in flour. Add mixture to stew, mix well. Add 1 can stewed tomatoes (to get larger pieces in stew). Cook an additional 10-15 minutes.
Spoon into bowls, top with green onion & a small amount of cheese.
* our home grown jalapenos are much more mild than what you would typically find at a restaurant. Reduce quantity if using spicier peppers. As prepared above this was not spicy, but just had a good mexican inspired flavor.